How to get a job in Mexico if you aren’t a citizen

If you’re planning on making a move and getting a job in Mexico, there are some things you need to know beforehand.  If you’re not a citizen of Mexico, you’re required to obtain a work permit from the Institute of Immigration. In addition, any foreigner who wants to work in the country must obtain a visa, either a temporary resident visa or a permanent resident visa.

What’s the difference between these two types of visas?  A temporary resident visa is for foreign nationals who want to live in Mexico for more than 180 days. With this type of visa plus a work permit, you can live and work in the country for up to four years. 

If you’re an expat who is looking to live and work in Mexico permanently, you’ll need to apply for a permanent resident visa. Your best bet is to hire an immigration lawyer or seek help from the Mexican consulate.

When it comes to finding a decent job in Mexico, having a working knowledge of Spanish can help your chances, although, in many types of jobs, it’s not a requirement. There are a number of resources available to find companies that are hiring, from entry level jobs to positions for executives:

  • Job websites such as Indeed, Craigslist, LinkedIn, Bumeran, OCC, etc
  • Employment agencies for temporary work
  • Staffing agencies
  • Online forums/bulletin boards

You speak English, but can you teach it?

Teaching English in Mexico is one of the best job opportunities for expats. Over the past 10 years, learning English has become a priority in Mexico. If you’re planning on moving to Mexico, your chances of becoming a teacher are better if you have a four year degree and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate. However, you can still get a job without a four-degree if you have your TEFL certification. 

You have the option of obtaining your certificate through online schools such as the International TEFL Academy. Additionally, many universities and colleges in the U.S. offer academic programs that specialize in TEFL training.

Living in a city or touristy coastal areas will give you better access to jobs at private language centers, private schools, as a private tutor, international schools, and at universities, although universities will expect you to have a Master’s degree plus a TEFL certificate. There is also a good market for teachers who are trained to teach business English. 

Finding a job online before you arrive is going to be your best option. Check out sites such as:

  • The ALPHA Institute
  • Teaching House
  • ESL Employment Mexico
  • Mexico City Craigslist

Making your transition

If you like a diverse, rich culture, then you may find that moving to Mexico and getting a job teaching English is not only an exciting experience, but a rewarding one, as well. 

However, Mexican culture will have an effect on every part of your job, so you need to do your due diligence when it comes to getting familiar with the culture of your adopted country.
One way to accomplish this is by reading books by famous Mexican authors. Check out our list of five of the most notable Mexican authors.

Comments are closed.